SAD Mag is looking for a new Editor-in-Chief!
SAD Mag (Stories, Art & Design) is a Vancouver-based quarterly magazine covering arts & culture, publishing the photography, designs and writing of some of our greatest local creatives.
Founded in 2009, Sad Mag has published eighteen issues and gained a loyal readership in Vancouver and beyond. We are currently seeking a talented, creative individual to take over the role of Editor-in-Chief. This is a great learning opportunity for an aspiring magazine editor or writer, with a flexible time commitment suitable for a student or person with another job.
The Editor-in-Chief works closely with the Lead Designer and Creative Director to produce each issue of the magazine.
- Determining the theme for each issue and planning features, interviews, and short pieces
- Recruiting writers and assigning pieces
- Reviewing and responding to submissions and pitches
- Along with the Creative Director, planning deadlines for submissions, editing and print
- Attending community events to promote the work of Sad Mag
- Working with the Web Editor(s) to coordinate online promotion of issue content
- Editing pieces for style, content, length and grammar
- Providing feedback to writers in a timely and professional fashion
- Working with copy editors
- Attending regular planning and production meetings
- Must be based in Vancouver, BC
- It goes without saying, but excellent English spelling & grammar are required!
- Preferably some experience with print magazines, in a writing or editing capacity
- Knowledge of the Vancouver arts & culture scene
- Familiarity with Sad Mag is a bonus
- The ability to commit for a full print year (3–4 issues) is strongly preferred
Perks & Compensation
The editor-in-chief will receive an honorarium of $300 per issue. You can also expect some other perks & opportunities, including:
- Mentorship and support from previous Sad Mag editors
- Camaraderie with the truly incredible team of Sad Mag staff
- Industry connections
- An opportunity to gain experience and skills as an editor
- Creative input on an established, exciting young publication
- We also throw great parties
As the Sad Mag editor-in-chief, you can expect to commit a few hours weekly to email and in-person issue planning. During planning and production, the time commitment is closer to 8–10 hours a week. The majority of work is on your own schedule, coordinating with the Creative Director and Lead Designer as necessary. We would be happy to discuss how each issue is produced with interested applicants!
This position is great for someone with a flexible schedule and an interest in working with writers and on print magazines. Applicants who identify as POC or queer are especially encouraged to apply, as Sad Mag is committed to supporting diversity in the Vancouver publishing industry.
Please apply with a cover letter (in the body of an email is fine) and a portfolio, including a minimum of three written pieces, to Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the subject line “Application for Editor-in-Chief”.
The outgoing editor-in-chief will mentor the successful applicant for a full issue production cycle, which will serve as a probation period.
Closing date: January 3rd, 2015.