Become a Member
Join a network of magazine publishers, professionals and volunteers working together to strengthen the industry and create new opportunities for growth.
Together, we raise the profile of our entire membership and provide further opportunity to develop new talent, share insights, and make a case for increased investment in BC magazines. Membership is open to publications, individuals, and partners.
Benefits of Membership
- All membership levels except for supporting members can have a listing on our website.
- All members can claim registration discounts for industry events (associate members attend free), and have access to resource libraries.
- Out-of-town members can claim bursaries to help them attend the MagsBC conference or AGM.
- Full (voting) members shape the strategies and messages we deliver to key stakeholders and funding organizations, and tap into the broadest range of programs and subsidies that we offer.
We are better together. Magazines bearing the MagsBC logo in their masthead signal to their readers that this publication is part of a network of professionals who can be trusted to meet established editorial and advertising criteria set by the Canadian magazine industry.
MagsBC works at the municipal, provincial and federal levels on behalf of magazine publishers and creators in BC. We respond to the unique needs of our membership and lobby governments to provide stability for our industry because we believe magazine creators should have all the resources they need to grow, be innovative, and contribute value to the cultural economy.
We believe that skill-sharing is an important part of driving the magazine industry forward. When people get together to exchange ideas and share experiences, the whole industry works better. MagsBC leads a few cornerstone projects and events to stimulate talent among magazine professionals.
This annual learning and networking conference for magazine people is the only large-scale gathering of its kind in British Columbia. Keynote speakers and creative industry leaders host a full schedule of talks, workshops and labs geared specifically toward all facets of magazine publishing. This event connects the whole chain of magazine makers — from publisher to poet, student to sales team, printer to distributor — and is capped off with a fun evening social event in the city.
INTERNSHIP SUBSIDY PROGRAM
Since at least 2010, MagsBC has subsidized many internships at a variety of magazines, making it easier for publishers and small teams to bring in new talent, get some much-needed support for their operations, and help develop the next generation of creators.
ACCESS TO LEARNING TOOLS
In addition to our own library of videos and other resources, MagsBC works with partner organizations like Magazines Canada and the Alberta Magazine Publisher’s Association to access resource libraries for our members that are not available to the general public.
MagsBC members receive discounted registration rates at our events, as well as select events hosted by partner organizations such as Magazines Canada, AMPA and WORD Vancouver.
The association looks for every available opportunity to raise the profile of BC magazines. In addition to various marketing campaigns throughout the year, we also display members magazine at strategic venues and events and distribute back issues at community locations including Vancouver General Hospital, Creative BC, BC Legislature (BC Book Day, Creative Industries Week), and WORD Vancouver.
MagsBC members are entitled to membership in the Canadian Media Circulation Audit (CMCA) under the Vertical Publications & CCNA Sustaining/Associate Members category, providing a reduced rate to access the CMCA’s auditing services. (Note: auditing fees are additional and based on circulation.)
Literary magazines that are members of MagsBC may join the Community of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP) at a 20% discount ($100 USD rather than $125) and have access to the CLMP's Filemaker Pro circulation template at a discount ($90 USD for CLMP members rather than $150-$200 USD).
We can provide subscription and fulfillment services to member magazines for a monthly fee plus hourly rate. Hours may vary depending on the initial setup and number of subscribers; please contact us if you would like to discuss how we may be of service to you.
Funded by Access Copyright Foundation, MagsBC has been actively working on a study that we hope to present by Fall 2017. The project title is I Read It Here Best: Identifying Digital Content Delivery Systems That Effectively Support Magazine Publishing.
MagsBC collaborates with a broad range of organizations to further its member-driven mandate, including:
- Access Copyright
- Association of Book Publishers of BC
- BC Alliance for Arts and Culture
- Canadian Centre for Studies in Publishing (a.k.a. Publishing @ SFU)
- Canadian Media Circulation Audit
- Canadian Media Producers Association (CMPA) – BC Producers Branch
- Canadian Society of Magazine Editors (CSME)
- Community of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP)
- Creative BC
- Cultural Human Resources Council (CHRC)
- DigiBC (interactive and digital media association)
- Editors’ Association of Canada (EAC)
- Editors British Columbia
- Federation of BC Writers
- Magazines Canada
- Music BC
- Publishing Program, Langara College
- Vancouver Public Library
- The Vantage Point (training for non-profits)
MagsBC offers a variety of memberships to meet the needs of BC magazines and publishing professionals.
Full (voting) membership is available to publishers of a British Columbia magazine, journal, e-zine or other periodical of a cultural, social, economic, political or artistic nature. Ineligible publications include:
• House organs, advertising catalogues, promotion publications, daily or weekly newspapers or publications circulated primarily to a club
• Magazines whose advertising to editorial ratio exceeds 70:30 (averaged annually)
• Magazines who do not comply with the Code of Reader & Advertiser Engagement
• Members who are no longer in good standing
Only parties with full membership are eligible to stand for office, to vote at MagsBC meetings or to participate in referenda. Parties with other types of memberships are welcome to get involved by joining the board, participating in a committee, or by volunteering.
To qualify for full (voting) membership,in addition to the above general requirements, a print magazine publication is eligible if it:
• Bases its publishing activities primarily in British Columbia
• Has its effective managerial and editorial control in the hands of British Columbians, and financial control in the hands of Canadians
• Uses the original work of Canadian writers, artists or photographers as a substantial part of its editorial content
• Has, for a period of twelve months prior to its application, established regular frequency of publication
• Has maintained accepted standards of editorial and production quality
• Subscribes to and is willing to work on behalf of the objectives of the association
• Adds the association as a subscriber
• Submits a complete Annual Information Form, and
• Pays the requisite membership fee.
Fill out our membership application form here.
To qualify for full membership, in addition to the above, an e-magazine publication must:
• Be at least 51% owned by legal residents of Canada (publisher or parent organization)
• Not have more than 50% of its editorial content composed of material that is syndicated from or reproduced from another website or publication
• Not contain excessive advertising, at the Board of Directors’ discretion
• Be updated regularly
• Present a clearly displayed contact page that includes at minimum, the names of the editor and publisher as well as the postal address of the publication
• Be a destination for users/readers rather than an email newsletter, RSS feed or similar
• Maintain an editorial control system where the editor is named
• Have been live for at least six months prior to application for membership.
Fill out our membership application form here!
Probationary membership is open to publishers who meet the criteria for full membership outlined above except the duration of establishment.
In order to apply for probationary membership, publications must submit a minimum of two issues or show consistent and frequent high quality content added over a period of up to 6 months.
Probationary members shall have the use of all services but are not eligible to stand for office, to vote at MagsBC meetings, or participate in referenda, but are welcome to join the board, a committee, or volunteer.
The MagsBC board of directors will review the publication at the one-year anniversary of probationary membership and determine if full (voting) membership can be offered.
Fill out our membership application form here!
Affiliate membership is open to publishers whose magazines are ineligible for membership, and other allied and trade organizations which share the aims of the association.
In order to be considered for affiliate membership, applicants must submit company information.
Affiliate members will be listed on the website and are eligible for discounts and educational services.
Fill out our affiliate membership application form here.
Associate membership is open to BC individuals who share the aims of the association, and who are publishing professionals or students.
In order to be considered for associate membership, applicants must submit a bio and indicate why they wish to join MagsBC.
Associate members can access MagsBC member services, including professional development bursaries, and attend events, conferences and workshops for free, unless otherwise stated.
Fill out our associate membership application form here.
Supporting membership is open to individuals who wish to join the association without applying for membership.
In return, supporting members get news and information, can access certain member services, and get discounts on events, conferences and workshops.
Fill out our supporting membership form here and send in your cheque payable to the Magazine Association of BC, 316-336 E 1st Ave, Vancouver BC V5T 4R6, or request a Paypal invoice to pay by credit card from Sylvia Skene, Executive Director, MagsBC.
Full (Voting) Member Dues Per Calendar Year
- Print Magazines*
Up to 8,000 copies per year: $150
8,001-15,000 copies per year: $225
15,001-25,000 copies per year: $300
25,001-50,000 copies per year: $375
50,001-100,000 copies per year: $450
100,001-250,000 copies per year: $550
250,001-500,000 copies per year: $675
$500,001-1 million copies per year: $800
1 milion plus copies per year: $950
Less than 100,000 visitors per year: $300
Less than 1 million visitors per year: $450
1 million plus visitors per year: $600
Probationary members pay the same dues as full members.
* Where a publisher has more than one magazine as a member, the magazine with the largest circulation pays full dues.
Membership dues for any additional magazines will be 25% of the full dues.
Affiliate members: $450
New magazine members and affiliate members pay dues prorated on the date they are notified of acceptance, based on a calendar year. New members joining September or later are assessed prorated dues for that year plus full dues for the year following, as well as a one-time administrative fee of $50.
Associate Members: $150/year from date accepted and dues paid
Supporting members: $50/year from date form submitted and dues paid
* Membership fees are subject to change. All membership applications except for supporting memberships are subject to board approval.