The Magazine Association of BC is happy to announce the preliminary schedule for our Magazines West 2018-2019 Conference, Thursday to Saturday, February 28-March 2, 2019 in Vancouver. Registration for the conference will open as soon as the final details have been confirmed, likely in the next week or so.
Thursday, February 28
6:30 p.m. Social
7:30 p.m. Keynote: to be confirmed.
Both at Pyatt Hall, VSO School of Music, 843 Seymour Street.
Friday, March 1
7:45 a.m. Networking Breakfast, Cibo Trattoria, 900 Seymour Street.
Conference at UBC Robson Square, 800 Robson Street.
9 a.m. Keynote: How Vulnerable is Canada to Fake News? with Linda Solomon Wood, The National Observer
10:15 a.m. Sessions:
- Copyediting 2.0: Editing in the Age of “Post It Now or Lose Your Audience” – presentation by Erin Brenner, Right Touch Editing
- Supporting Asian Canadian Writers – panel with Yilin Wang, Anna Ling Kaye and Shazia Hafiz Ramji, moderated by Phoebe Wang
- Seeing is Believing: Magazine Design Trends – presentation by Barbara Woolley, Hambly & Woolley. Sponsored by Mitchell Press
- Optimize Your Workflow: How to Create Efficient and Effective Facebook Ad Campaigns – 1.5 hour lab with Kalina Kolarova, RTOWN. Sponsored by RTOWN
11:45 a.m. Lunch. Sponsored by Mitchell Press
12:30 p.m. Sessions:
- First Impressions: Making Your Online Visual Content Look the Way You Want It To – 4-hour lab with Sarah Veness
- Funder Q&A with Christine Chiu and Erika Kumar, Creative BC
- Funder Q&A – not yet confirmed
1:30 p.m. Sessions:
- The Underappreciated Art of Writing Short – presentation by Shelley Arnusch, Senior Editor, Avenue Magazine.
- Maximize Your Digital Marketing: Making a Big Splash with a Small Team – presentation by Erin Brenner, Right Touch Editing. Sponsored by Magazines Canada
- To be confirmed.
3:15 p.m. Sessions:
- Punching Above Your Weight: Narrative Journalism for Smaller Magazines – presentation by Curtis Gillespie, Eighteen Bridges. Sponsored by Magazines Canada
- Building Good Working Relationships with Emerging BIPOC Writers – presentation by Phoebe Wang. Sponsored by Historic Joy Kogawa House
- Helping Your Readers Find You: Patrick Sauriol on MagsBC and Geist’s Pilot Project on Discoverability – report by Patrick Sauriol, Corona Productions
4:45 p.m. Social – location TBD.
Saturday, March 2
9:30 a.m. Intensives:
America-Bound: What’s Involved in Selling and Distributing Your Magazine in the U.S. – 3-hour workshop with Jennifer Bird, Fly Fusion Magazine and Scott Bullock. Funded by Creative BC; sponsored by Magazines Canada.
Podcasting – 4-hour lab/workshop with Sarah Hoyles
12:30-1 p.m. Lunch
1 p.m. Intensive:
The Art of Crowdfunding – 3-hour workshop with Ian MacKenzie, filmmaker and activist
Funded by the Government of Canada.