Magazine Membership Application
You can apply here for a voting membership for your print or digital British Columbia magazine, journal, e-zine or other periodical of a cultural, social, economic, political or artistic nature. As a full voting member, you can access the widest range of programs and services MagsBC offers (as funding allows), including internship subsidies, consultations with experts, and free and discount registrations to professional development events.
If you would like to apply to join us, please:
- Fill out and submit this form AND
Send the following to email@example.com:
- Three different recent issues of your magazine in print or pdf format, or three recent examples of content from your magazine’s website, as applicable.
- Your magazine’s ad rate card.
- Your magazine’s media kit or other marketing materials, if it’s separate from #2.
Please also review the Code of Reader & Advertiser Engagement [pdf]. Members are required to abide by this code.
Once your application and materials have been received, we will make a decision at our next board meeting.
You can then use the payment option on this page to pay for your membership.
$200.00 – $500.00
<15K print / <100K VPY, 15,001-50K print / 100-250K VPY, 50,001-250K print / 250-500K VPY, 250,001-1 million print / 500K-1 million VPY, >1 million print/VPY
Full (voting) and probationary memberships:
- Are available to publishers of a British Columbia magazine, journal, digital magazine, or other periodical of a cultural, social, economic, political or artistic nature.
- Have access to all programs and services.
Note that membership is by magazine, not by publisher.
Full (voting) members:
- Shape the strategies and messages we deliver to key stakeholders and funding organizations.
- Tap into the broadest range of programs and subsidies that we offer.
- Are eligible to vote at MagsBC meetings and to participate in referenda. Parties with other types of memberships are welcome to get involved by joining the board, by participating in a committee, or by volunteering.
You can see our members here.
If your magazine is eligible for full or probationary membership (see below), you can submit an application form here. We will get back to you within a couple of days about your application and the board will review and vote on it within the month.
Ineligible publications include:
- House organs, advertising catalogues, promotion publications, daily or weekly newspapers, or publications circulated primarily to a club
- Magazines where advertising to editorial ratio exceeds 70:30 (averaged annually)
- Magazines who do not comply with the Magazines Canada’s Code of Reader & Advertiser Engagement
- Members who are no longer in good standing
To qualify for full (voting) membership, in addition to the above general requirements, a print magazine publication is eligible if it:
- Conducts its publishing activities primarily in British Columbia
- Has its effective managerial and editorial control in the hands of BC residents and financial control in the hands of Canadians
- Uses the original work of Canadian writers, artists or photographers as a substantial part of its editorial content
- Has established regular frequency of publication for a period of at least twelve months prior to its application
- Has maintained accepted standards of editorial and production quality
- Endorses, and is willing to work on behalf of, the objectives of the Association
- Adds the Association as a subscriber or member, as applicable
- Submits a complete Annual Information Form, and
- Pays the requisite membership dues
To qualify for full membership, in addition to the above general and print magazine requirements (as applicable), a digital publication must:
- Be at least 51% owned by legal residents of Canada (publisher or parent organization)
- Publish at least 50% original content
- Not contain excessive advertising, at the Board of Directors’ discretion
- Be updated regularly
- Present a clearly displayed contact page that includes, at minimum, the names of the editor and publisher as well as the postal address of the publication
- Be a destination for users/readers rather than an email newsletter, RSS feed or similar
- Maintain an editorial control system where the editor is named
- Have been live for at least six months prior to application for membership
Probationary membership is open to magazines who meet the criteria for full membership outlined above, except for the duration of establishment or accepted standards of editorial and production quality.
Publications must show that they have consistently published original content online and/or in print for at least three months.
Probationary members are entitled to all services that help them become eligible to apply for full (voting) magazine membership within the year and are welcome to join the board or a committee, or volunteer. They are not eligible to vote at MagsBC meetings or to participate in referenda.
The MagsBC Board of Directors will review the publication after one year and determine if full (voting) membership can be offered.
Affiliate membership is open to publishers whose magazines are ineligible for membership, as well as to other allied and trade organizations that share the aims of the association.
Affiliate members have a listing on our website and are eligible for free and discount registrations.
You can fill out our affiliate membership application form and pay for your affiliate membership here.
Associate membership is open to BC individuals who share the aims of the association and who are professionals or students in publishing or a related field.
Associate members can access MagsBC member services, including professional development bursaries, and attend association events for free or at a discount.
Associate members also receive a member listing on our website.
Apply to become an associate member here.
As associate membership is only open to BC-based industry professionals and students, you do not need to pay dues until your application is approved by the board.
Supporting membership is open to individuals who wish to join or support the Association without going through the more involved application process or who may be ineligible for Associate membership.
Supporting members receive news and information, can access certain member services, and can claim member discounts on MagsBC, AMPA, and Magazines Canada events.
Supporting members are recognized on our members' page unless they choose not to be.
You can fill out our supporting membership form and pay your dues here.
Magazine Member and Associate dues are payable upon approval by our Board of Directors. Affiliate and Supporting Member dues are payable upon submission of this form. We hope you will join us!
Note that new Magazine Members also pay a one-time $50 administrative fee.
Publishers who have more than one member magazine pay full dues for their magazine with the largest circulation or VPY, and ¼ dues for each additional title.
See under BECOME A MEMBER for the full list of member benefits.
Your dues are on this page lower left. Once you “Add to Cart”, you can then pay. If there is a drop-down menu, please pick the option that matches your yearly circulation (for print magazines) or visitors per year (for digital publications).
You can also ask our executive director to send you a Paypal invoice if you prefer. You don’t need a Paypal account to pay.
To pay by cheque, please mail to:
Magazine Association of BC
316-336 E 1st Ave
Vancouver, BC V5T 4R6