We unite a diverse network of member magazines and professionals, and develop strategic partnerships, projects and programs that strengthen our industry.
The Magazine Association of BC (MagsBC) was founded in 1993 to represent, connect and promote the British Columbia magazine industry.
Our membership and affiliate base consists of publishers, editors, writers, designers, salespeople, printers and developers who work for magazine titles that range from literary and lifestyle to business and news, and are in both online and in print formats.
We acknowledge that the Magazine Association of BC carries out its work on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) First Nations.
The Magazine Association of BC is a member-driven, not-for-profit organization which believes in the interconnected cultural and economic value of a vital British Columbia magazine publishing industry.
MagsBC works to foster an environment where new magazines are nurtured, established magazines are supported and magazine staff are able to develop their skills.
Its originating and continuing purpose is to promote the value of the sector.
Board of Directors & Staff
Our volunteer board of directors represents a strong and diverse group of publishing industry professionals who respond to the needs of our membership and bring a variety of industry perspectives to our operations. If you are interested in joining us, please contact President Jessica Key at email@example.com or Executive Director Sylvia Skene at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
President, Board of Directors
Secretary, Board of Directors
Member at Large / Roundtable Coordinator, Board of Directors
Member at Large, Board of Directors
Executive Director & Internship Coordinator
Communications, Marketing and Events Coordinator
If you are interested in past financials and annual reports please contact Sylvia Skene at email@example.com.
- 2021-2022 Annual Report, which contains the 2021 Review Engagement (financial statements)
- MagsBC Member Code of Conduct, July 14, 2022 [PDF]
- MABC Constitution and Bylaws as of 2020 June 23 [PDF]
- BC Magazines List – as of May 15, 2022
- The State of Diversity, Inclusion and Equity in the Canadian Magazine Industry: Survey Report (English & French Summaries), July 29, 2021 by Aliya Jamal and Zenobia Jamal, Zenev and Associates, for MagsBC and AMPA:
- Making the Most of the Digital Leap Forward: Identifying Digital Content Delivery Systems That Effectively Support Magazine Publishing in 2021, March 30, 2021 by Jessica Fabrizius, assisted by Lindsay Stone. Final revised version May 4, 2021.
- MagsBC 2019 Past Interns Survey Report summary. The full report is available upon request.
- Making the Digital Leap Forward: Identifying Digital Content Delivery Systems That Effectively Support Magazine Publishing, January 18, 2018 [PDF] by Jessica Fabrizius and Kaitlyn Gendemann, and assistance and research by Alyssa Schwartz.
- From the Margins to the Mainstream: Moving BC’s Creative Industries Forward, April 2012 [PDF] by Sue Brinton, Suebee Media Consulting with the assistance of Margaret Reynolds, ABPBC, Sylvia Skene, MagsBC, Liz Shorten, CMPA-BC, and Bob D’Eith, Music BC.