Magazine Coach Program
Helping Your Magazine Perform To Its Highest Potential
A new initiative as of Spring 2018, MagsBC arranges for experts to meet with member magazines to help them improve in a targeted area such as business management or editorial workflow.
About the Program
MagsBC is starting a new service for our members similar to Magazines Canada’s Travelling Consultants Program and the Alberta Magazine Publishers Association’s Pros on the Road.
With the Magazine Coach Program, MagsBC will pair “coaches”, experts in a particular area, to meet with member magazines for a half or full day consultation.
Participating magazines will pay a fee as part the cost of the consultation and receive a summary of recommendations afterward. Very small magazines may have this fee reduced or waived on request.
These experts are known for helping magazines and other clients perform better. We are continuing to develop our roster of experts, so stay tuned!
Everything you'll need to know to take advantage of our Magazine Coach Program.
If you have any questions, please contact Sylvia Skene, Executive Director, MagsBC at 604-688-1175 or email@example.com.
As this is a new program, the process may change, but it currently is as follows.
Staff at member magazines who would like to participate need to:
- Identify areas you need the greatest help in and share this with MagsBC
- Send in an application when the call and list of coaches goes out by the association
- If assigned a coach by MagsBC, determine a date key staff can meet with them, and share this with the association
- Make sure you receive a questionnaire from MagsBC well before your consultation
- Pay for your share of the consultation costs
- Fill out the consultation questionnaire and send it to your coach well in advance of the consultation date
- Have a short phone discussion with the coach before the meeting on the focus of the meeting, and what else they need
- Meet with the coach
- Review and implement recommendations from the coach report
- Fill out MagsBC's Magazine Coach Session feedback survey about this new program and process.
For non-member magazines, we encourage you to apply for membership in our association in order to take advantage of this great program and others.
We will be pairing one of our coaches to a magazine based on which coaches we have and what the magazine tells us they need.
We are happy to take recommendations for coaches, but the final choice remains with the association.
As this program ramps up, we will be offering coaching two or more times a year as our roster of experts is developed.
We will put the call out when we have coaches either available or coming in to town, and member magazines can indicate their interest in a consultation with one of them at that time.
As this is a new service, we are still building our roster of coaches, but we are working toward having experts available in all of the following areas:
- Branding and brand extensions
- Building community and audiences
- Design, both in print and online
- Diversity and inclusivity
- Editorial, both in print and online
- Event planning
- Financial and business management
- Fundraising and revenue diversification
- Grant writing and reporting
- Human resources
- Memberships - transitioning to or adding
- Multimedia - podcasting, videos, etc.
- Online publishing and promotion
- Production and printing
- Social media presence
- Website development and enhancement
If you don't see what you need help with in the above list, let us know!
Consultations are most effective with only key staff people responsible for that area meeting with the coach, generally two to three people.
If you have more than one magazine, staff members from other magazines cannot attend as the consultation is tailored to one magazine only.
However, if you wish to have a publisher's consultation with more than one magazine's staff in attendance, we can work something out. Let's talk!
Participants of other consultation programs, such as AMPA's Pros on the Road or Magazine Canada's Travelling Consultants program, have often felt that their time and money was well spent and made a significant positive impact on their magazine.
A full 7 1/2 to 8 hour consultation is normally $300 and a half day is $175. However, as this is a new program, we are asking magazines to pay $100 for a half-day session and $175 for a full-day session until the program is more well-established.
Very small member magazines may ask to have this fee reduced or waived.
Funded by the Government of Canada.