Internship Subsidy Program
Last updated May 26, 2021
The Magazine Association of BC has received approval for internship subsidy project funding for 2021 to 2022 from the Canada Periodical Fund (CPF).
We are now putting out the call for subsidy applications from our member magazines for internships scheduled between April 1, 2021 and February 28, 2022.
Main changes to the program:
- The maximum subsidy has increased from $4,500 to $5,500 or 80%, whichever is less.
- The subsidy is now up to 80% for all magazines, large or small. Formerly, larger magazines received a maximum of 60-70% in subsidies.
- The eligible number of weeks has been increased from 16-22 to 16-26 weeks.
- Interns can now claim a stipend for reimbursing moving, rental and work expenses of up to $2,100 for internships outside our major metropolitan areas be added. We hope this will help magazines in more remote locations with recruitment.
- The internship coordinator will have a weekly Zoom check-in and discussion with all interns working that week.
- Internships of 10+ hours per week are now available to very small magazines, with the proviso that, where possible, the length of the internship be 18 weeks or more.
We recommend that MagsBC members who are interested in hosting an intern read our updated guide first, even if they have hosted before.
To apply, please send an email with the following to Sylvia Skene, Executive Director/Internship Coordinator, MagsBC at email@example.com:
- A 1-2 paragraph statement of interest
- Section 1 of the internship subsidy program details form (MS Word)
- An internship job posting with all details as listed in p. 8 of the guide
All of the above must be received and complete before a submission will be considered for a subsidy.
Approval as always is contingent on funding.
If you have never hosted an intern before, Michael True of Messiah College, Pennsylvania has compiled an orientation paper. Although the content is US-based, some of the advice is very valuable.
You may also find our 2019 past interns survey report enlightening. The summary of findings is here; the full report is available upon request from MagsBC.
Please direct any questions or requests for the survey report to Sylvia Skene, Internship Coordinator and Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 604-688-1175.
Funded by the Government of Canada.