Bursaries, Grants & Subsidies
— Last checked and updated May 1, 2020 by Rujipa Laosin, Langara College Library & Information Technology practicum student.
BURSARIES & SUBSIDIES
Magazine Association of BC. Internship Initiative (Subsidy Program).
A grant-based internship subsidy program. Member magazines may apply for an internship of 20+ hours per week, 16-22 weeks per year, for positions at minimum wage or higher. Subsidies offered typically run from 60-80%.
Magazine Association of BC. Professional Development Bursary.
MagsBC members from out of town (including staff and volunteers at member publications) are eligible to apply for travel and tuition assistance to attend selected professional development events. Eligible events and application deadlines will be announced to the membership. Contact the executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada. Media Fellowship Program
The program is funded by the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada and in part by Cathay Pacific Airways. The program’s goal is to provide an opportunity to Canadian journalists to gain insights on Asia and the Canada-Asia relationship. The grants are offered to any Canadian journalist employed by a Canadian magazine or newspaper as a feature writer, columnist, freelancer and more. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit site
BC Arts Council
Provides financial support to eligible writers, artists, publishers, and cultural organizations in BC. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
BC Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch Direct Access Grants
The former BC Gaming Commission provides funding to certain provincial arts groups that can show community involvement. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
The Canada Council for the Arts
A national agency which offers grants, services and awards to eligible professional Canadian artists and arts organizations, including writers and cultural magazine publishers. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
Canada Council for the Arts. Literary Publishing Projects – Grants for Supporting Artistic Practice
For Canadian publishers of literary books and magazines who are committed to the development and promotion of Canadian literary writers. Grants support the publication of literary books and magazines authored by Canadian writers. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
An organization that facilitates online fundraising to allow charities to accept donations over the Internet. They also connect donors to registered charitable organizations. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
Canada Periodical Fund
An initiative of the Department of Canadian Heritage. The fund provides contributions to eligible Canadian magazine publishers and industry associations through formula-based and project-based components. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
City of Vancouver Cultural Services. Grants, Awards & Support Programs
A City of Vancouver organization that provides grants for eligible cultural organizations and events. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
Creative BC. Magazine Publishers Travel Support Program
The program sponsors financial support for BC magazine publishers to attend magazine conferences, both domestic and international, as well as international trade events. The support program is designed to encourage recipients to further their professional development. (Accessed May 3, 2020.) Visit Site
Government of Canada Funding Programs
Offers grants and subsidies to qualified employers for summer internships, student hiring, skills training and youth employment. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
Imagine Canada. Directory of Funders
A directory of funders and grants in Canada. Available for a fee; a starter-kit is also available for free to non-profits under $100,000/year. They also provide recommended resource lists and a searchable database in their Nonprofit Library. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
LIFT Philanthropy Partners
LIFT invests in social purpose organizations that improve health, skills development, education and employment. They provide these organizations with a valuable combination of skills, expertise and resources to improve their operations, accountability and measurement practices over the long term. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
A philanthropic organization which grants money and resources to a broad range of eligible groups. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site
Vancouver Public Library. Writer in Residence Program
To promote Canadian writers and their literature. The grant is a four-month residency. The writer will spend 60% of their time on their project and the other 40% of their time monitoring emerging writers. (Accessed May 3, 2020.) Visit Site
Western Economic Diversification Canada
A government body which provides assistance to eligible projects that diversify economic activity and create employment in Western Canada. (Accessed May 1, 2020.) Visit Site