— Last checked February 21, 2023, by Aliya Nurani, Langara College Library & Information Technology practicum student
- “Bookselling and Publishing Industry Joins Together to Publish New Commitment to Professional Behaviour.” The Publishers Association. Dec. 07, 2018. Read Article
- “Canadian Creative Industries Code of Conduct.” Canadian Creative Industries. 2018. Read Article
- Howatt, Bill. “How to craft an effective respectful-workplace policy.” The Globe and Mail, Dec. 15, 2017. Read Article
- Taylor, Kate. “Canada’s Creative Industries Adopt New Code of Conduct on Sexual Harassment.” The Globe and Mail, March 8, 2018. Read Article. May need to create a free account to read
- Khan, Farrah. “Workplace Sexual Harassment Laws by Province and Territory.” Courage to Act, Courage to Act, 10 May 2021, Read Article
A Deeper Dive: Selected Codes and Policies
- “The Book Publishers Association of Alberta Anti-Harassment and Discrimination Policy.” BPAA, Feb. 21, 2019. Read
- Canadian Code of Conduct for the Performing Arts. Cultural Human Resources Council, April 2019. Visit Site
- CMA Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice: Compulsory Professional Framework For Marketing Self Regulation. Canadian Marketing Association.
Compulsory for members and as such is a comprehensive regulatory framework governing members’ conduct. Read
- Code of Conduct. CBC/Radio-Canada, Oct. 1, 2017. Read
- Code of Conduct. WisCon, April 2018. Read
- Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors. COPE : Committee on Publication Ethics.
The Best Practice Guidelines are more aspirational and were developed in response to requests from editors for guidance about a wide range of increasingly complex ethical issues. Read
- Denny, Neil. “U.K. Book Trade Agrees to Code of Conduct.” Publishers Weekly, Dec. 7, 2018. Read
- Editors’ Code of Practice. Independent Press Standards Organisation, July 1, 2019. Read
- ESDC Code of Conduct. Employment and Social Development Canada.
This includes values and expected behaviours, avenues for resolution, conflict of interest, and post-employment. Read
- IBPA Anti-Harassment Policy. Independent Book Publishers Association. Read
- Journalistic Practices and Principles, Editorial Code of Conduct. Globe and Mail.
“Unless all employees strive for the highest standards of journalistic integrity, we cannot hope to sustain the trust we have inspired in our readers for generations.” Read
- Publishing Ethics. Center Journals. IEEE.
Guidance on publishing ethics: authorship, citations, data reporting, and how to follow the ethical guidelines required in scientific publishing. Read
- Publishing Policy. Smashing Magazine. November 2017.
An example. Read
- Racial Equity Tools. Center for Assessment and Policy Development, MP Associates, World Trust Educational Services. Visit Site
- Smith, Charles C. “Equity Now for Today and Tomorrow: Transforming the Writers’ Union of Canada.” [2017?] Read
- “We believe in R-E-S-P-E-C-T, and we expect you to, too.” Respectful Workplace Statement of Commitment. Invisible Publishing. Read
- Workplace Harassment and Violence. Cultural Human Resources Council, 2019. Read
- Workplace Violence and Harassment. Ontario Ministry of Labour, May 2018. Read
See also: Accountability in Publishing