— Last checked and updated April 21, 2022, by Robyn Dubinsky, Langara College Library & Information Technology practicum student.
- Average Freelance Writer Hourly Pay in Canada – Payscale.com: Shows the expected pay rates for work based on experience and location. Visit Site
- Brinton, Susan. “From the Margins to the Mainstream: Moving BC’s Creative Industries Forward.” A discussion paper that focuses on book and magazine publishing, music, sound recording, film, television and interactive digital media production in British Columbia, and makes recommendations on supporting these industries. Read Report
- Canadian Freelance Guild: The Guild offers member benefits including how to negotiate a contract, what to ask for expected work and health & insurance benefits. Visit Site
- Coxon, Lisa. “What It’s like to Earn a Living Freelance Writing in Canada.” JSource, Oct. 12, 2018. This article examines how people can try to make money and how to be choosy about jobs that are offered. Read Article
- Emmanuel, Rachel. “Modernized Federal Fund Will Support the Creation of Canadian Content, Industry Groups Say.” IPolitics, Feb. 26, 2020. This article examines the change in policy of the Department of Canadian Heritage to pay magazines and newspapers for what they create, rather than their circulation amounts. Read Article
- Freeland, Allie. “Survey Results: How Much Should I Pay a Freelance Writer?” Clearvoice, Jun. 5, 2018.
Summary of results and infographics from a survey by a freelancing website on the pay rates for freelancers, broken down by experience, gender and time. Read Article
- Magazine & Periodical Publishing in Canada – Industry Data by IBISWorld: Shows that over the last five years to 2020, falling consumer demand and a continued decline in print advertising spending have devastated the magazine and periodical publishing industry in Canada. Note: need to pay IBISWorld to read reports. Visit Site
- Magazine Trends 2016 by Magazines Canada: This slide deck tracks the number of Canadian consumer titles, ad revenue growth, ad page growth, Canada vs. U.S. revenue growth, circulation trends, and more. Visit Site
- Resources – Canadian Freelance Union: More resources for freelance workers from the Canadian Freelance union. Visit Site
- Vert, Shauna. “How Much Should I Charge? Pricing Tips from an Experienced Creative Freelancer.” Work Is Changing, Jan. 16, 2018. This article discusses how to set pay rates for freelancing. Read Article