The Tyee is a small and scrappy team of writers, editors, and entrepreneurial thinkers. We are looking to add a new person to our Vancouver office to keep our office humming like a well-oiled machine and help out with things like events and crowdfunding campaigns. We’re not big on bureaucracy, but we know that being effective is helped by having our administrative $%^& together. To that end, we have an opening for a full-time operations and development assistant, ideally beginning in January 2019.
You will report to publisher Jeanette Ageson. This is a great role for someone who wants to learn about crowdfunding campaigns, event production, and the business side of independent media.
- General office management for our small Vancouver office (picking up mail, keeping office supplies stocked, leaving passive-aggressive notes in the kitchen about cleaning up)
- Document filing and system management
- Under direction of the publisher, help with developing staff policies and procedures documents
- Responding to supporters’ needs and queries by email and phone
- Assisting in event organizing and execution (ordering catering, booking venues, that kind of thing)
- Assisting in The Tyee crowdfunding campaigns (sending out swag, working with our email database to make lists)
- Assist in compiling reports (financial, sales, etc) to help keep the business office on track
- Assorted administrative tasks
Requirements (the right candidate ticks these boxes):
- Love of The Tyee and independent media
- Strong writing and verbal skills, with a keen eye for details
- Experience with setting up systems and maintaining them
- Ability to take on new challenges, and use creativity to solve problems
- Time management skills, including the ability to keep to tight deadlines
Bonus skills (great to have, but not necessary):
- Some project management skills (what does it take to bring something from idea to execution)?
- Mastery of Microsoft Excel
- Event organizing experience
- Experience working with email campaign software
- Basic graphic design capabilities
Position is full time (40 hours/week), Vancouver-based. Compensation is $45,000/year, with extended benefits after a six-month probationary period. Employees start out with three weeks’ paid vacation, plus paid time off during a yearly office shutdown between Christmas and New Years’ Day.
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining why you are interested in this opportunity to email@example.com. Please put Operations and Development Assistant in the subject line. The deadline for applications is midnight Pacific Time on Monday, December 10.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal people, members of a visible minority and people with a disability.
If you’re creative, hard-working and love independent media, we’d love to meet you.