Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
Job title: Publisher, the Verdict
Reports to: CEO
Are you an experienced editor, publisher or graphic designer interested in a more hands-on role? Are you a recent graduate from a digital and print publishing program who is looking to show off their talent? If so, you might be the perfect addition to the team at TLABC.
Working with a volunteer Editorial Board made up of experienced lawyers, the Association is seeking the perfect candidate to lead its flagship quarterly publication, the Verdict.
About Trial Lawyers Association of BC
Founded in 1980, TLABC is a not‐for‐profit society with a proud history and a current voluntary membership base of 1,500+ legal professionals leading diverse practices throughout the province. Our members represent individuals rather than corporations, governments or other large entities. Practice areas include family, employment and immigration law, wills and estates, criminal defence and personal injury litigation. Members are united with the goals of protecting the rights of individuals, ensuring access to the courts, preserving the jury system and promoting the highest standards in legal education.
Reporting directly to the CEO, and working collaboratively with the Editorial Board, the Publisher is responsible for ensuring that TLABC’s lead publication has relevant content, modern design, and advertising revenue to support its printing and distribution. The successful candidate thrives on rigid deadlines, juggling multiple tasks, working independently AND in a collaborative team environment, and in delivering results.
Vision & Planning
- Produce 4, eighty (occasionally plus) page magazines a year (spring, summer, fall & winter)
- Work with TLABC CEO to establish magazine budget and advertising sales targets
- Stay aware of on-going changes/trends in print and online publishing to ensure we are current and meeting our readers’ needs
- Conduct ad sales for publication
- Prepare ad sales promotional materials such as media kits and mockups
- Set advertising sales and artwork deadlines for the upcoming year
- Seek, contact and track new potential advertisers
- Build and maintain relationships with past, current and future advertisers
- Write ad contracts
- Record ad sales/ maintain and update run sheet
- Design advertisements as needed
- Send tear sheet pages and thank you notes to advertisers
- Invoice all advertisers and follow up with advertisers to ensure that all invoices have been paid
- Set editorial deadlines
- Continue to seek to improve the magazine’s editorial content through the addition of new sections and features
- Meet with the Verdict editorial board at least 4 times a year to brainstorm, plan and curate editorial calendar, themes and Issue Leaders for the upcoming year
- Maintain contact with the editorial board throughout the year to discuss and generate feedback on issues as they arise such as unsolicited materials for publication etc.
- Send out reminder notices and maintain contact with Verdict contributors to ensure editorial deadlines are met
- Track all incoming editorial content including date of receipt, author, title, word count, editing dates etc.
- Send out thank you notes to Verdict contributors and editorial board members (each issue)
- Set press and production deadlines for the upcoming year
- Collect quotes from current and alternate printers for consideration
- Select artwork for placement in the magazine
- Oversee and attend to the layout, appearance, design of magazine editorial and advertising content
- Check camera-ready artwork (ads) to ensure they are print-ready
- Proof magazine pages
- Create press-ready files
- Upload files to press
- Review and approve final files for print
- Maintain magazine distribution list
- Email magazine distribution lists to the mailing house for distribution
- Send out additional Verdicts on the as-needed basis
- Send letter (from CEO) and copy of the magazine to all BC MLAs
Online Content Management – the Verdict
- Update “The Latest Issue” section of the www.tlabc.org each issue
- Update the Verdict archives section of the website each issue
- Update other sections of www.tlabc.org on the as-needed basis
- Update social media platforms with the Verdict specific information such as deadlines and new issue releases
Online Content Management – TLABC Website
- Update website as per staff needs
- Conduct ad sales for the TLABC website
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (English, Publishing, Journalism, etc.)
- Graduate of graphic design or a comparable program in an accredited post-secondary institution
- Experience in a similar role
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Print Media: Adobe Create Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- Social Media: Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Hootsuite
- Web Media: Basic HTML & CSS, WordPress, Email marketing (Constant Contact)
- Additional: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
- Detail-oriented with solid technical skills and knowledge of print and industry practices and standards, from prepress to print production management
- Deadline-driven with strong organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to multi-task, problem-solve and prioritize in a dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Comfortable and confident leading a team, building relationships and conducting sales
- Adept at working under pressure
Role and Compensation
This is a full-time, permanent role.
TLABC offers a professional work environment. Compensation and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter, both in a single PDF document, as soon as possible to (but no later than March 20, 2020) firstname.lastname@example.org. Please rest assured that all applications are confidential. Enquiries are encouraged.
We thank all applicants in advance and wish you all the best of luck in your search. And rest assured, we will keep all applicants apprised of their status in the review, screening and interview process.