COVID-19 News Related to BC Magazine Publishers, Staff, Freelancers, and Others
~Last major check & update Jun. 20/21 by Rachel Lin, Langara Practicum Student, Library Technician Program.
- General Information (including Individuals, Businesses, and Maps sections)
- News for BC Magazines
We know that these are extraordinary times. You’ve probably received a torrent of emails, news articles, and resources from your network over the past few months, and you may not have had time to sort through it. We compiled relevant news sources related to our industry and have created new resource sections on COVID-19 financial support, cultural sector resources, and work from home (WFH) resources.
If you know of a valuable resource or news item for our industry that is not listed below, or we’ve made a mistake, please email our executive director, Sylvia Skene, at email@example.com and we will update this page as soon as we can. These documents are updated as often as possible.
- British Columbia. “BC’s Restart: A plan to bring us back together.” Jun. 15, 2021. Read Here
- CBC News. “BC – COVID-19 Stats; Notices and Closures.” Dec. 14, 2020. Read Here
- D’Agostino, Jennifer. “What You Need to Know About Your Taxes and COVID-19.” Intuit QuickBooks. Accessed Feb. 1, 2021. Read Here
- Government of British Columbia. “BC’s Response to COVID-19.” Dec . 14, 2020. Read Here
- Government of British Columbia. “Province Wide Restrictions (BC). ” Dec . 14, 2020. Read Here
- Government of Canada. “Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan.” Read Here
- Government of Canada. “COVID-19: Main Modes of Transmission.” Read Here
- Ma, Bowinn (MLA). “Summary of Financial Supports.” Read Here
- Canadian Human Resources Council. “Young Canada Works.” Apply Here
- Government of British Columbia. “COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool & BC Support App.” Download Here
- Government of Canada. “Support for Individuals.” Read Here.
- Robson, Jenifer (Dr.). “Benefit Information: A Quick Guide for Individuals in Crisis.” May 26, 2020. Read Here
Businesses (see also below)
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business. “COVID-19 Small Business Help Centre.” Read Here
- Government of Canada. “Federal Support for Canadian Businesses.” Read Here
- HarperGrey. “Understanding the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy.” Apr. 9, 2020. Read Here
- Small Business BC breaks down recent changes made in November to CEWS
- Launch Online. “Launch Online Grant Program.” Application intake opened till Sept. 30, 2021. Apply Here
- Local News Research Project. “COVID-19 Media Impact Map for Canada.” Last updated March 11, 2021. View Here
- Health Authority. “British Columbia COVID-19 Dashboard.” Maps and statistics of areas in BC affected by COVID-19. View Here
News for BC Magazines
- June 17: BC Gov News. “Employer reimbursement program launches for COVID-19 paid sick leave.” Posted by BC Gov News. Read Here Closed program Dec. 31/22. See WorkSafe BC for information on 5 days’ paid sick leave for employees.
- June 17: Creative BC. “Launch Online Grant Program.” Posted by Creative BC. Read Here
- June 16: Creative BC. “BSAFE – BC Safety Assured For Everyone.” Posted by Creative BC. Read Here
- June 14: CTV News Vancouver. “Step 2: B.C. lifts more COVID-19 restrictions including ban on travel within the province.” Posted by CTV News Vancouver. Read Here
- May 25: BC Gov News. “B.C. launches restart plan to safely bring people back together.” Posted by BC Gov News. Read Here
- January 11: Magazines Canada. “Update on Magazines Canada’s Retail Distribution Service.” Posted by Magazines Canada. Read Here
- December 21: The Canadian Press. “B.C. eases requirements for struggling businesses applying for support.” Posted by CBC. Read Here
- December 07: Weichel, Andrew. “B.C. extends health order limiting social interactions past Christmas, New Year’s Eve.” CTV. Read Here
- November 30: Government of Canada.”Government of Canada Releases Supporting Canadians and Fighting COVID-19: Fall Economic Statement 2020.” Read Here
November 25: Government of BC. “Provincial State of Emergency: COVID-19 Information & Resources.” Read Here
- September 04: CBC “Canada added 246, 000 Jobs in August, but employment still 1 million short of the pre-COVID level.” Read Here.
- July 17: LoganKatz. “The Government of Canada releases details on the redesigned Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program.” A guide to the extension of the CEWS program to December 19, 2020. The last update was on April 22, 2021. Read Here
- July 8: BusinessWire. “Federal Government Ensures Canadians Continue to Have Access to Trusted News Through Canadian Magazines Despite COVID-19.” Press release about from Magazines Canada, Alberta Magazine Publishers Association, L’Association Québécoise des éditeurs de magazines, and the Magazine Association of BC regarding the Special Measures for Journalism Fund, now closed. Read Here
- July 7: Canadian Heritage. “Final Components of Phase 2 of the COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage, and Sport Organizations Announced.” Includes $45 million through the Special Measures for Journalism Fund (see below) for print and digital magazines and weekly newspapers not receiving Aid To Publishers or Canada Council for the Arts funding. Read Here
- May 11: CBC. “Is COVID-19 an ‘extinction event’ for newsrooms?” CBC Radio program discusses the problems facing Canadian media. Read Here
- April 17: Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada. “COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage, and Sport Organizations.” The plan rolled out. Read Here
- April 17: Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada. “Prime Minister announces new support to protect Canadian jobs.” Includes $500 million to establish a COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations. Read Here
- March 31: Word Vancouver, announces that they will be continuing to plan for the late September event.** Visit Website
- March 30: Canada Council for the Arts. “COVID-19: Information and support for the arts sector.”
Announces that organizations will not need to make up programming that has been canceled due to COVID-19. Organizations will be asked to write a letter explaining the changes. Reporting deadlines are also being extended by request, with no penalties. Read Here
- March 26: Indigo. “An update to our Indigo community.”Indigo lays off 5,200 employees and announces that stores will be closed indefinitely. Read Here
- March 26: The BC Arts Council. “COVID-19: Updates.” They are making amendments to programs, extending deadlines, and more. In addition, they are meeting to discuss additional measures beyond what has already been announced. Read Here
- March 25: Government of Canada. “COVID-19: Support for culture, heritage, and sports sectors.”
Announces new measures to support publishers. Read Here
- March 19: Magazines Canada. “Update on Magazines Canada’s Retail Distribution Service.” Read Here
- March 18: British Columbia Arts Council. Message from the Minister of Tourism, Arts & Culture regarding COVID-19. Read Here
– Originally compiled by Shaleeta Harrison, LINK Magazine & Member-at-Large, MagsBC board, with assistance from Jessica Key, subTerrain & President, MagsBC board; Sylvia Skene, Executive Director, MagsBC; Leah Vecchione, and Kathryn Breakell, Langara College library technician practicum students; and content from the Women-EDs listserv, magazine publishers and others.