Communications, Marketing and Events Coordinator, Magazine Association of BC
We are seeking a communications, marketing and events coordinator for a one-year contract. The coordinator will work with our executive director in Vancouver on a variety of projects that serve the BC magazine industry as well as provide some administrative support.
Founded in 1993, the Magazine Association of BC (MagsBC) is a non-profit organization based in Vancouver that supports its members—magazines, publishing professionals and others—and the magazine publishing industry across BC through its programs, services, and advocacy efforts. Visit us at magsbc.com to find out more.
Our Commitment to Inclusivity
At the Magazine Association of BC, we respect that each of us is unique. We are committed to fostering an environment that is equitable, diverse, inclusive, and accessible, where everyone we work with feels valued, respected, and supported. Read more on our website.
If you require an accommodation for our recruitment process, please let us know.
The coordinator will work on projects that develop awareness and appreciation of BC magazines for various audiences and support the industry and the association. Main duties:
- Organizing, promoting and supporting professional development events over the next year
- Assisting with our BC Reads Magazines promotional campaign, and other projects as needed
- Liaising with speakers, technical staff, marketing firms, graphic designers, printers, freelance writers, members, bookkeeper, administrative assistant and others
- Writing, editing and posting updates, ads and other marketing communications, and content on the MagsBC and promotional campaign websites and social media at least a few times a week, a few times a day during the campaign, as well as in our twice-monthly newsletter
- Executing and tracking project deliverables while sticking to budgets and timelines
- Collecting performance measures and project materials
- Maintaining an up-to-date spreadsheet of project revenues and expenses
- Writing monthly, quarterly and final reports on projects and project financials for association stakeholders, including the executive director, board of directors and grant funders
- Providing administrative support and assisting with grant writing as needed
Skills and Abilities
- One to three years relevant experience
- Exceptional English written and verbal communication skills, including a superior command of spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Proficient with social media platforms, especially Twitter and Facebook
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and WordPress
- An interest in reading and publishing, and some familiarity with the magazine publishing industry
- A demonstrated ability to adapt to and work with competing or changing priorities
- Engaged, efficient, organized, personable, resourceful, flexible, creative
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team to meet goals and stick to timelines
- Education, skills or experience in magazine publishing, non-profit arts management, graphic design, freelancing, event organizing, project management, budgets, communications and/or marketing
- Experience with FileMaker Pro, QuickBooks, Google Drive, Dropbox, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, Zoom, Harvest, other social media platforms (especially LinkedIn and Instagram), and/or Adobe Creative Suite
Work Schedule & Working Conditions
This is a one-year contract position to July 31, 2022, full-time except for a break scheduled between late December and early January and 15-18 hours/week in the last month (July 2022). Hours and days of work are somewhat flexible, keeping in mind that association hours of work are generally 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
The coordinator must have their own dedicated computer, printer, file storage and ergonomically-adjusted workspace (whether at home or elsewhere) and be able to work both independently and at the executive director’s home office (with cat) in Vancouver or other locations as needed.
We respect all COVID 19 protocols, including working from home for anything other than essential work, practicing social distancing, consistently using masks when working in indoor public spaces, and hand-washing/disinfecting.
The coordinator will be paid $28/hour + GST. The maximum budget for this contract is $46,340 + GST. There is a possibility of the contract being extended, contingent on funding.
The coordinator may ask for supplies and software relating to their work for the association.
Please email a single pdf containing all of the following:
- a cover letter
- your resume/CV and
- a list of 3 magazines you like and why
to ProjCoordMagsBC@gmail.com with Subject: MagsBC Coordinator Application – [Lastname] [Firstname].
Application deadline: July 28, 2021 at 5 p.m. PDT. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Thanks for your interest in MagsBC!