This position has been filled.
Geist is a Canadian literary magazine of ideas and culture. We publish narrative (fiction and non-fiction), essays, poetry, reviews, photography, drawings, comix, puzzles and little-known facts of interest—with a special interest in fresh interactions between text and image. We strive to be articulate, humorous and identifiably Canadian. Our mandate is to find and encourage a wide audience for new and established Canadian writers and artists of merit.
Geist is seeking a new Managing Director to oversee the business side of Geist. If the idea of working collaboratively on a national magazine excites you, we want to hear from you. When applying, please share where your experience lies and the areas in which you’d like to grow.
The incumbent will be supported by a team of three, in addition to contractors, a volunteer Board of Directors and additional volunteers.
50% — Grants & Fiscal Oversight
20% — Staffing & HR Administration (including policy writing)
20% — Bookkeeping & Reporting
10% — Ad Sales & Publishing Strategies
Flexibility in duties is possible through collaboration with other staff and contractors.
– Work with Board of Directors on strategic direction of the organization
– Oversee staff, interns and volunteers
– Identify and apply for grant funding, writing and submitting reports, building relationships with grant officers
– Oversee organizational budget
– Bookkeeping: payroll, paying bills, bank deposits; managing cash flow; updating budget; monthly account reconciliation; year end prep; file GST (quarterly), PST (yearly) and payroll deductions (monthly)
– Manage office tenants and general office management
– Coordinate workshops and events including contests (promotions and judging)
– Oversee digital strategy
– Manage fundraising campaigns
– Managing advertising sales including exchange ads
– Strong leadership skills and ability to build a team and a collaborative environment
– A strong interest in publishing and Canada’s literary landscape
– Post-secondary education (or a combination of education and work experience)
– Experience with financial management
– Strong communication skills
– Understanding of Federal, Provincial & Municipal Funding structures
– Solid problem solving skills
– Detail oriented and organized
– Ability to juggle competing priorities; good time management
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
– Understanding of Microsoft Office tools
– Familiarity with Quickbooks Online Accounting is an asset
– Familiarity with Asana for project management is an asset
Geist is committed to improving the representation and inclusion of equity seeking groups within our organizational makeup. We strongly encourage applications from those who self-identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour), Women, LGBTQ2S+ individuals, as well as those living with a disability. We recognize that this list is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. If you are comfortable doing so, please self-identity within your application cover letter.
This is a full-time position at 30-35 hours a week at a salary between $40,000 and $50,000 per annum.
Geist offers extended health & dental benefits and 4 weeks annual paid vacation. We provide a comprehensive leave policy inclusive of paid sick days, mental health days, and monthly menstrual leave days, as well as a professional development budget for staff.
We offer a flexible hybrid remote schedule; however, the incumbent should be based in Vancouver, BC to participate in our collaborative workflow during peak production times.
How to Apply
If you do not have experience with all of the above responsibilities, we encourage you to apply and describe your experience, your vision for Geist, and why you’re excited about this opportunity.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by May 18, 2023.