Commitment to Inclusivity
The Magazine Association of BC is committed to encouraging inclusivity, diversity, accountability and accessibility.
We offered two workshops in concert with the Association of Book Publishers of BC (ABPBC) in Vancouver and Victoria on May 23 and 24, 2019. The code of conduct from the workshops is here.
We are committed to having more diversity in our programming and speakers at our MagsWest conference. See below and on our YouTube channel for some of these sessions.
The ABPBC’s member code of conduct is here.
We have created 9 new resource sections based on the bibliography produced as part of these workshops, from accountability to diversity, disability to appropriation and harassment. See below the videos or visit our resources here.
If you’re interested in learning more, check out the Writers Guild of America West’s list of Industry Inclusion and Equity Writing Programs, Conferences and Festivals
Some of our more recent videos:
Stealing Someone Else’s Voice by Ijeoma Oluo
Race, Culture, and the Gatekeepers of Language by Ijeoma Oluo
Resisting ‘CanLit’ | West Coast Indigenous Writers
Don’t know the best resources to inform yourself? We can help. We have compiled a variety of resources in the following areas:
- Accountability – Codes of Conduct & Policies
- Accountability in Publishing
- Disabled Writers & Accessibility
- Diversity & Inclusivity
- Diversity in Publishing – Overview
- Diversity in Publishing – Organizations & Initiative
- Diversity in Publishing – Studies & Stats
- Representation & Appropriation in Publishing
- Sexual Harassment, Abuse & Discrimination in the Literary Community
If you have a suggestion for additional resources, please contact Sylvia Skene, Executive Director, MagsBC
Check back here for news about upcoming initiatives offered by the Magazine Association of BC.
- MagsWest 2020 Is Back With a Series of Webinars in September!One conference webinar each day from September 14 to 18 and from 21 to 25 on topics from scrollytelling to investigative journalism, service packages to revenue diversity strategies.
- Upcoming Magazine Submission and Other Deadlines as of September 2, 2020Of interest to our members. Includes contests, calls for submission, awards and scholarships.
- Upcoming Events and ProDev as of Sept. 2, 2020Conferences and other events of interest to magazine professionals in Canada, the U.S. and beyond. Includes recent cancellations and postponements.
- Upcoming Events and ProDev as of July 7, 2020Conferences and other events of interest to magazine professionals in Canada, the U.S. and beyond. Includes recent cancellations and postponements.
- Upcoming Magazine Submission and Other Deadlines as of April 14, 2020Of interest to our members. Includes contests, calls for submission, awards and a fellowship.