School of Communication Instructor
Posting Number: fe‐cmns‐inst‐2017‐1794
Position Type: Regular Part‐Time
This position is open to any qualified candidate.
Workload Amount: 4 sections
Appointment Date: August 1, 2017
Salary: Faculty Scale
Location: North Vancouver Campus
Closes May 19, 2017 at 4 p.m.
Nature & Scope of Work
To teach CMNS 190, Article Writing, in the Bachelor of Communication Studies degree. The course includes the following:
- Practical frameworks for understanding the social and cultural dimensions of written communication in the magazine industry
- How to write a query letter to an editor, a short front‐of‐book article, and a long‐form magazine feature that incorporates research and interviews.
- Creative non‐fiction writing strategies
- Identifying and describing broad traditions in Canadian magazine publishing
- The writer’s role as questioner, interviewer, social mirror
- The social, cultural, and political significance of the magazine industry in contemporary society
Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English or a related field
- Five years’ experience as a magazine writer
- Demonstrated competence in print and online writing for the Canadian market required including a portfolio of recently published feature magazine articles.
- At least two years of successful post‐secondary teaching experience
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to the email address listed below, quoting the posting number in the subject line, by 4:00 PM on the closing date.
Submissions must be in pdf or .doc format only.
Proof of education will be required at a later stage of the competition.
Dean, Faculty of Business and Professional Studies
2055 Purcell Way,
North Vancouver, BC
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.