If you are our ideal candidate, you have a curious nature and strong writing skills (including punctuation and grammar) and are passionate about working in the exciting world of magazine publishing. You know how to conduct and transcribe interviews and to write fluently and accurately to deadlines. You are an organized multitasker with excellent people skills who adapts easily to change and thrives on the challenge of producing exceptional magazines.
1. Collaborate with the editor-in-chief and deputy editor to research and plan articles.
2. Follow current events and developments; suggest original ideas.
3. Provide administrative support when needed, including liaising with writers about deadlines, managing freelance invoices, tracking proofs and booking interviews.
4. Write news items and feature articles.
5. Write online and e-news content along with social media posts.
6. Proofread and fact check.
7. Source products and images.
8. Liaise with writers, sales and marketing staff, designers and photographers.
9. Work with Page One team, as required, on special events, marketing initiatives and promotion of editorial material.
A writing or journalism degree from a recognized college or university is required. Industry experience is a plus.
Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Google Docs and Adobe Acrobat is essential. Experience with Adobe InCopy or InDesign and WordPress is a plus. The ideal candidate will also be experienced in social-media content development, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Internship duration: October/19 to mid-March/20 (Office closed between Christmas and New Year’s.)
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Mon-Thurs
Wage: Starting $21.00/hour
Application deadline: Sept. 20/19
Send resume and example of writing to: Kerry Slavens – firstname.lastname@example.org