This position has been filled.
Position: Managing Editor
Type: Full Time
Page One Publishing is looking for a skilled Managing Editor to oversee our company’s editorial department, and who will act as the editor of our bi-monthly lifestyle magazine, YAM. The position reports directly to the publisher(s) and will supervise editorial team members. (More on Page One below.)
As the managing editor you will be expected to have the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager. We expect excellent organizational and leadership skills, as well as a unique problem-solving ability.
- Plan and manage all daily editorial operations
- Hire, coach and supervise editorial personnel
- Collaborate with management team
- Coordinate editorial publications and meetings
- Ensure editorial budgets are met
- Develop issue line-ups for YAM, and approve line-ups for our other publications [for print and online]
- Collaborate with editorial team on issues’ content and topics
- Plan and approve assignments for editors and writers
- Control schedules and ensure editorial deadlines are met
- Write for YAM magazine and other publications where needed
- Oversee editing, ensuring compliance with policies, style and tone and proofreading procedures
- Oversee editorial process through print, including organizing fact-checking, writing captions and display copy, proof-reading, and approving editorial changes.
- Resolve issues as they arise
- Attend events on behalf of the company and for the publication(s) you represent
- Public speaking at events where necessary
- Proven experience as managing editor or relevant role
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing, especially in lifestyle and homes content
- Proficiency in English
- Working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and SEO concepts
- Proficient with social media platforms
- Abilities in planning and coordinating people and operations
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and people abilities
- Reliability and efficiency
- Attention to detail
- BSc/BA in journalism or relevant field
Interested applicants should also be able to demonstrate solid knowledge of, and active interest in, some or all of the following areas: real estate and development, sales and marketing, local businesses, entrepreneurship, economic development, finances, education, human resources.
This is a full-time position at $55,000 annually, with a 4-day flexible work week in a hybrid office.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 samples of published work (pdfs) to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Page One
Page One Publishing is an energetic, forward-thinking publishing company established in 1998.
Our company is well known as the publisher of several successful local magazine brands: YAM, Victoria’s home and lifestyle magazine, Douglas, Victoria and Vancouver Island’s business magazine, and Spruce, Victoria’s Home and Design magazine.
Page One is also known for its strong commitment to community, hosting Douglas’ Annual 10 to Watch Awards and YAM’s Best Restaurant Awards, as well as sponsoring several charitable events each year.No tags for this post.