This internship opportunity is presented as part of the “Digital Skills for Youth” program coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance and funded by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
Geist is a Canadian literary magazine of ideas and culture. We publish the best that we can find of narrative (fiction and non-fiction), essays, poetry, reviews, photography, drawings, comix, and little-known facts of interest—with a special interest in fresh interactions between text and image. We strive to be articulate, humorous and identifiably Canadian. Our mandate is to find and encourage a wide audience for new and established Canadian writers and artists of merit. Our primary program and service is in the printing of our quarterly publication to platform the voice of emerging artists and writers in Canada.
About the Role
Geist is currently seeking an enthusiastic Digital Publishing Intern to assist with our transition toward new website strategies and improved digital publishing processes & presence. Reporting to the Circulation & Production Manager, you will work alongside our publishing and editorial staff to bring new digital strategies to life including but not limited to; literary content, marketing initiatives, circulation, and fundraising. Through mentorship and supervision the intern will learn about multiple aspects of publishing from circulation and marketing, to digital content creation and editing for online.
By the end of the proposed project, the intern will have gained professional level skills in digital marketing and project management, which will give them qualifications to work in the publishing industry.
We encourage applications from candidates with a broad range of backgrounds including, but not limited to: race, ethnicity, indigeneity, gender, gender-identification, sexual orientation, class, neuro-diverse and physical ability.
Qualifications and Skills
- A self-starter who can work both independently & collaboratively
- Tech-savvy and comfortable learning new software
- Passionate about digital strategies for communicating via website and social media
- Working knowledge of Twitter and Facebook (business marketing experience with either platform is an asset)
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills
- Interest in publishing & literary magazines
- Efficient at managing both short & long term projects
- Competency in HTML/CSS, PHP, and Adobe Photoshop preferred
- Between the age of 15 and 30 at the start of the internship
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (either a citizen, permanent resident or person with refugee status – work permits are not eligible)
- A post-secondary graduate
This internship starts July 18, 2022 and runs until March 20, 2023
The incumbent will work 32 hours per week at a rate of $21.50 p/hour, with our small team in our downtown Vancouver office located in Gastown. A hybrid remote & in-office schedule is possible.
Please send your c.v. and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Digital Publishing Intern” by midnight on July 3, 2022.
Please note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.