This internship has been cancelled. Watch our job board for a new position starting January 2023.
Page One Publishing, the Victoria, B.C.-based publisher of YAM, Douglas and Spruce magazines, is seeking to hire an Editorial Assistant for an internship.
If you are our ideal candidate, you have a curious nature and strong writing skills (including a good understanding of punctuation and grammar).
You know how to conduct and transcribe interviews and to write fluently and accurately to deadline.
You are an organized multitasker with excellent people skills, adapt easily to change and thrive on the challenge of producing exceptional magazines.
Most of all, you are passionate about working in the exciting world of magazine publishing
- Collaborate with the editor-in-chief and deputy editor to research and plan articles.
- Follow current events and developments; suggest original ideas.
- Provide administrative support when needed, including liaising with writers about deadlines, managing freelance invoices, tracking proofs and booking interviews.
- Write news items and feature articles.
- Write online and e-news content along with social media posts.
- Proofread and fact check.
- Source products and images.
- Liaise with writers, sales and marketing staff, designers and photographers.
- Work with Page One team, as required, on special events, marketing initiatives and promotion of editorial material.
- Graduation within the last 3 years with a degree in writing or journalism from an accredited post-secondary institution is required. Industry experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Google Docs and Adobe Acrobat is essential.
- Experience with Adobe InCopy or InDesign and WordPress is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will also be experienced in social media content development, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- 20 hours/week for 16 weeks from September to December 2022. (Office closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day.)
- Wage: $19/hour ($380/week).
- Applicants must be based in the Victoria area and able to commute to and from our office at 580 Ardersier Road.
- Application deadline: open until position filled. First come, first interviewed.
Please send cover letter and resume to Joanne Sasvari at email@example.com