Page One Publishing, the Victoria, B.C.-based publisher of YAM, Douglas and Spruce magazines, is seeking to hire a half-time editorial assistant for an internship.
If you are our ideal candidate, you have a curious nature and strong writing skills, including a good understanding of punctuation and grammar.
You know how to conduct and transcribe interviews, and to write fluently and accurately to deadline.
You are an organized multitasker with excellent people skills, adapt easily to change, and thrive on the challenge of producing exceptional magazines.
Most of all, you are passionate about working in the exciting world of magazine publishing.
- Collaborate with the editor-in-chief and all editors to research and plan articles.
- Follow current events and developments; suggest original ideas.
- Provide administrative support when needed, including liaising with writers about deadlines, managing freelance invoices, tracking proofs and booking interviews.
- Write news items and feature articles.
- Write online and e-news content along with social media posts.
- Proofread and fact check.
- Source products and images.
- Liaise with writers, sales and marketing staff, designers and photographers.
- Work with Page One team, as required, on special events, marketing initiatives and promotion of editorial material.
- Enrolment in, or a recent (within 3 years) degree from, a writing or journalism program at a recognized college or university is required.
- Industry experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Google Docs and Adobe Acrobat is essential.
- Experience with Adobe InCopy or InDesign and WordPress is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will also be experienced in social media content development, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- 20+ hours/week for 24 weeks (April to October 2023).
- Victoria-based office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
Compensation and Benefits
- Wage: $19/hour
- Intern will be paired with both a supervisor and a mentor who will help them with both their internship and their career search.
Application deadline: April 3, 2023. Please send cover letter and resume/CV to Joanne Sasvari email@example.com